If you get the MSN News page popping up in Chrome, you may think your default Home page has been compromised. In all likelihood, it hasn't. Nor will you find a Chrome setting for it, because it's set outside Chrome.
The culprit is a registry setting. To fix it, follow these steps:
- From the Start menu, enter regedit
- Rightclick the regedit.exe and choose Run as administrator.
- When regedit opens, choose HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and expand it until you arrive at SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services.
- Expand Services and scroll down to NlaSvc. Expand it, select Parameters, then Internet, and expand it.
- In the right panel, if EnableActiveProbing has a value of 0x00000001, double click it and set the value to 0.
- Click OK.
- Close regedit. Your mission has been accomplished.